Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Oli-what?

Went in for my weekly OB visit yesterday and ended up in the hospital. Turns out my weight, blood pressure and dilation (barely 1 cm.) had hardly changed since last week. But my belly had shrunk a little. So my OB did a sonogram and found that my amniotic fluid had dropped to a 4. At the time, I had no clue what this meant. Now, I know that a 4 means an Amniotic Fluid Index measurement of 4 centimeters on the sonogram--and that an AFI of 5 centimeters or less is an indication that the mom has oligohydramnios, and is a common reason for inducement after 39 weeks. Of course, at the time, all I knew was that I was being sent from the OB's office to "labor/delivery" at the hospital without my pre-packed hospital bag or my husband--or even reading material (I'd finished the NYT Sunday magazine while I was waiting to see my OB since she was running about 45 minutes behind). And that I might end up a mommy before the day was done.
Once I got to the hospital though, the nurses didn't seem to be in any rush to admit me. I sat in the waiting room for more than an hour, while women with more serious conditions--one with high blood pressure and suspected preclampsia, another who was in labor--shuffled past me through the door to the labor/delivery triage center. Finally, my name was called and I was handed the by-now familiar urine sample cup and cotton gowns (one for the front, another for the back to protect my modesty). The nurse hooked me up to an IV and a resident doctor told me that I'd be given fluids for 2 hours and then they'd recheck my amniotic fluid level. Two hours!
And no TV, or even windows, in the triage unit. I was doubly glad I'd made a quick trip to the gift store to pick up a bag of trail mix and a couple magazines. But trying to hold and flip through the magazine with one hand was not easy (my left arm, in which the IV had been inserted, was wrapped in a blanket to try and warm up the fluids being pumped into my vein). I gave up for good after I got a papercut across my palm and couldn't reach the paper towels. Fortunately, my husband showed up about then with half a sandwich, bottled water and some snacks.
The next hour and a half passed more quickly. I was feeling pretty confident that we'd be leaving. I felt fine after all (I still had no idea what the guidelines were for AFI numbers). And, more importantly, the baby's heartbeat and activity levels were fine, according to the doctor. And when the Ultrasound results showed my AFI level had increased to a 5.7, I thought we were home free. But the doctor seemed unsure. We had to wait another 20 minutes while she tried to reach my OB. In the end, I was sent home--at least for now--with instructions to take it easy and drink lots of water. I need to return to the hospital on Wednesday for another Ultrasound and AFI check. But at least this time I'll be better prepared. I'm bringing my pre-packed bag, plus a book and 2 magazines, my iPod, and lots of snacks. If Monday night was any indication, I could be hanging out in triage for a long time. That's the part you don't see in the movies or on TV when a woman gives birth.. the waiting time. The delivery itself might take minutes, but the lead time can last 24 hours or more. I'm glad we got a couple more days to get ready--and to sleep in!--and a preview of what to expect. Today, I'm planning to take full advantage of what may be my last day alone. I'm getting my hair done, and maybe a pedicure, and I'm loading up on all my favorite snacks and magazines--and water, of course.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home